n. （电路的）开关，闸，转换器; 改变，转变
v. 改变，转变; 交换，调换; 调班
A switch is a small control for an electrical device which you use to turn the device on or off.
Leona put some detergent into the dishwasher, shut the door and pressed the switch.
...a light switch.
If you switch to something different, for example to a different system, task, or subject of conversation, you change to it from what you were doing or saying before.
Estonia is switching to a market economy...
The law would encourage companies to switch from coal to cleaner fuels...
If you switch your attention from one thing to another or if your attention switches, you stop paying attention to the first thing and start paying attention to the second.
My mother's interest had switched to my health...
As the era wore on, she switched her attention to films.
If you switch two things, you replace one with the other.
In half an hour, they'd switched the tags on every cable...
The ballot boxes have been switched.
1. control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit
2. an event in which one thing is substituted for another;
3. hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure
4. railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections; used to turn a train from one track to another or to store rolling stock
5. a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
6. a basketball maneuver; two defensive players shift assignments so that each guards the player usually guarded by the other
7. the act of changing one thing or position for another;
1. change over, change around, or switch over
2. exchange or give (something) in exchange for
3. lay aside, abandon, or leave for another;
4. make a shift in or exchange of;
5. cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation;
6. flog with or as if with a flexible rod
7. reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
switch something off
switch something on
switch off 【非正式用语】
Benjamin fumbled for the light switch.
Switch that fellow off!
First you should switch the machine on.
He decided to switch tactics.
The heater is on a timer switch.