n. 声音; 音乐风格; 印象; 海峡
v. 听起来好像; 鸣警报; 测深度
adj. 明智的; 透彻的; 健康的; 香甜的; 严厉的
A sound is something that you hear.
Peter heard the sound of gunfire...
Liza was so frightened she couldn't make a sound...
Sound is energy that travels in waves through air, water, or other substances, and can be heard.
The aeroplane will travel at twice the speed of sound.
The sound on a television, radio, or CD player is what you hear coming from the machine. Its loudness can be controlled.
She went and turned the sound down...
Compact discs have brought about a vast improvement in recorded sound quality.
A singer's or band's sound is the distinctive quality of their music.
They have started showing a strong soul element in their sound...
He's got a unique sound and a unique style.
If something such as a horn or a bell sounds or if you sound it, it makes a noise.
The buzzer sounded in Daniel's office...
A young man sounds the bell to start the Sunday service.
If you sound a warning, you publicly give it. If you sound a note of caution or optimism, you say publicly that you are cautious or optimistic.
The Archbishop of Canterbury has sounded a warning to Europe's leaders on third world debt...
Others consider the move premature and have sounded a note of caution...
When you are describing a noise, you can talk about the way it sounds .
They heard what sounded like a huge explosion...
The creaking of the hinges sounded very loud in that silence...
When you talk about the way someone sounds, you are describing the impression you have of them when they speak.
She sounded a bit worried...
Murphy sounds like a child...
When you are describing your impression or opinion of something you have heard about or read about, you can talk about the way it sounds .
It sounds like a wonderful idea to me, does it really work?...
It sounds as if they might have made a dreadful mistake...
You can describe your impression of something you have heard about or read about by talking about the sound of it.
Here's a new idea we liked the sound of...
I don't like the sound of Toby Osborne...
1. the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause;
2. the subjective sensation of hearing something;
3. mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium;
4. the sudden occurrence of an audible event;
5. the audible part of a transmitted signal;
6. (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
7. a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
8. a large ocean inlet or deep bay;
1. appear in a certain way;
2. make a certain noise or sound;
3. give off a certain sound or sounds;
4. announce by means of a sound;
5. utter with vibrating vocal chords
6. cause to sound;
7. measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
1. financially secure and safe;
2. exercising or showing good judgment;
3. in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay;
4. in excellent physical condition;
5. reflects weight of sound argument or evidence;
6. having legal efficacy or force;
7. free from moral defect;
8. (of sleep) deep and complete;
1. deeply or completely;
healthy, sound, robust, well, strong, vigorous, sturdy, tough, wholesome, fit
noise, sound, voice
(as) sound as a bell
Sound waves will not travel through a vacuum.
Sound travels slower than light.
The sound has to be coordinated with the picture.
He can make ordinary things sound interesting.
On the morning of New Year's Day, people woke to the sound of firecrackers.